Molehills into mountains

As I said in the last post, I found a bunch of pinholes in the starboard side rubrail. Some light tapping with a hammer really opened them up. So out came the oxy-acetylene torch to take off the old half round iron pipe and prepare the area for a new section of mild steel half round pipe.

So here it is after ripping off 5 feet or so and sandblasting the area.

There are more holes farther forward so more cutting. You can see all the spongy crap that accumulated inside and held all the moisture. These outlets are the discharge from the deck drains. All the snow on deck is melting!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

  1. Bill Kelleher
    Posted February 22, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

    Aren’t boats fun ? LOL

    It doesn’t matter what you start doing it always ends up being a bigger job than you think it will be. :( (

    Bill Kelleher

    • Posted February 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

      Yes that is certainly the truth in this case!

      Cheers,

      Eric

  2. Bill Kelleher
    Posted February 22, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

    A question.
    Looking at the specifications I see 850 gal. fuel and 4000 gal. water.

    Is this correct or reversed ?

    I don’t understand why a harbor tug would need 4000 gal of water. LOL

    Bill Kelleher

    • Posted February 23, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

      Hi Bill, No thats where I stand at the moment. I replaced a 250 gallon diesel fuel tank that you would typically see on legs outside your rural house and farm with a form fitting steel tank that I built. That is now bolted in to the hull inside the engine room on the port side. I will eventually build another similar one on the starboard side to equalize my trim.

      The 4000 gallon domestic water tank was for the original steam engine. I’m told that the steam engine did not have a condenser, which would have converted the spent “dead” steam back into water for reuse. After running the steam through the two cylinders, the steam was just released though a pipe running alongside the stack. It was a typical experience in those days to see a steam boat pull alongside a pier and connect into the city water main through a fire hydrant to resupply their water supply.

      Thanks for following my progress and the great questions!

      Cheers,

      Eric

  3. Bill Kelleher
    Posted February 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

    Now I understand, I use to be a Steamfitter so I really do understand what said.

    I have enough problems keeping up with my 46′ boat let alone your size and steel.

    Bill Kelleher

  4. Posted August 31, 2010 at 10:12 am | Permalink

    Hi there! Amazing project. Do you have photos of the tug from the 1880’s could you post them? Or are they in plain sight and I missed them?

    • Posted February 7, 2011 at 5:04 am | Permalink

      Sorry, I don’t have many older pictures of this tugboat yet. Im waiting for a chance to get into the New York Central Railroad library located in Grand Central terminal to do a better search. Or perhaps I might find something in the Museum of the City of New York. For existing as long as she has, there must be pictures of her. The only older picture I have (date unknown) is the one in the header to my blog, where you can see No. 13 alongside her sisters in the NY Central fleet.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>